Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A New Season

It seems to me that life is full of seasons and the only thing that we can really be sure of in this world is that there will be change. Change came suddenly for me a few weeks ago in the form of a job that disappeared. The financial woes that everyone faces in this season of life are hitting every part of society. The church is no different, when there is less money things have to change.

Here in the last days of my employment some things come to mind. I really enjoyed serving the people that I came in contact with, some were sent as a test I'm sure but for the most part it was great. I have no regrets for spending six years and then all of a sudden it is gone. I hold no ill will or feelings towards anyone or any group of people, they are all just doing what they think is best for the church. I have been blessed to have had a staff of associates and volunteers who gave their hearts in service, they would have tried to turn the Titanic around in a bathtub if I just asked them to.

But here is the crazy thing, i don't even feel like the reason that I was placed there was to sell books because in all of what I did - I found the place that God has made me for. It is just nuts but I am excited about what is coming next, Christy and I have a perfect peace about what is happening. We have adopted a saying at our house "It's odd because it's God" and that is exciting.

For me it is time to walk the talk that I have been preaching and teaching to my guys over these last few years, I can't crumble now, that would dishonor God and all of the guys would see that I could talk it but not walk it.

The other crazy thing is that I have made some of the best friends that I will ever have. Some are here still and some have moved away. This is the longest that I have ever lived in one place since I left home as a kid. But, my time here has brought some of the best folks ever to my life.

Well, I guess that I should keep posting what happens in our lives because I know that it will be exciting. For those of you who are not here everyday, I miss the time that we spent together and look forward to more time with you.

Later
Captain Dave

2 comments:

the burchard bunch said...

Thanks for the thoughts....
I know in our lives we keep saying "this is where the rubber meets the road".... this is where we have to KNOW that we truly believe He is in control. It's not easy sometimes (well, most of the time!), but He IS in control... and that, my friend, is the most amazing part of our journeys:) Miss you guys too! With all your "free" time... when you comin' to visit???

debbieingrovecity said...

I a so glad you posted. You and the family have been in my mind since I heard of the closing of the store. I know that God has pretty crazy stuff ahead for you and I am excited to hear how He plans on using you to further His kingdom.
I love you all and wish I were closer so we could have some pie!!